Mailing Address: 16 Lincui Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100101, China
2004 Ph.D. Psychology-Institute of Psychology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
1997 M.S. Pharmacy-Shenyang University of Pharmacy
1994 B.S. Pharmacy-Xinjiang Medical University
1998-2000 Research Assistant, Institute of Psychology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
2001-2004 Assistant Professor, Institute of Psychology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
2005-2015 Associate Professor, Institute of Psychology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
2010 Visiting scholar, Pediatric Research Center, The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
2016- Professor, Institute of Psychology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
Psychoneuroimmunology of stress and related psychiatric disorders, including Depression and Schizophrenia; Neural mechanisms underlying cognitive dysfunction; Early stress and susceptibility of adult psychological disorder;
Since 2018 Vice director, Physiological Psychology Branch, Chinese Psychological Society
Since 2015 Member of Council, Physiological Psychology Branch, Chinese Psychological Society
Since 2013 Member of Council, Psychosomatic Medicine Branch, Chinese Association for Mental Health
Since 2015 Member of Council, Physiology of Stress Branch, the Chinese Physiological Society
Since 2017 Member of Council, Neurobiology of Stress Branch, the Chinese Society for Neuroscience
Since 2015 Member of Council, Animal behaviour Branch, the Chinese Zoological Society
1. Yu Zhang, Hang Xu, Fan Zhang, Feng Shao, Bart Ellenbroek, Jiesi Wang, Weiwen Wang*. (2019). Deficiencies of microglia and TNF? in the mPFC-mediated cognitive inflexibility induced by social stress during adolescence. Brain, behavior and immunity, on-line.
2. Wang, W., Wang, L., Xu, H., Cao, C., Liu, P., Luo, S., . . . Zhang, X. (2019). Characteristics of pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines alteration in PTSD patients exposed to a deadly earthquake. J Affect Disord, 248, 52-58. doi: 10.1016/j.jad.2019.01.029
3. Li, M., Xu, H., & Wang, W. * (2018). An Improved Model of Physical and Emotional Social Defeat: Different Effects on Social Behavior and Body Weight of Adolescent Mice by Interaction With Social Support. Frontiers in Psychiatry, 9(688). doi: 10.3389/fpsyt.2018.00688
4. Hang Xu, Jiesi Wang, Ke Zhang, Mei Zhao, Bart Ellenbroek, Feng Shao*, Weiwen Wang*. Effects of adolescent social stress and antidepressant treatment on cognitive inflexibility and Bdnf epigenetic modifications in the mPFC of adult mice. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 2018, 88: 92-101.
5. Zhang, Q., Chen, Z., Chen, S., Yu, T., Wang, J., Wang, W., & Deng, H. (2018). Correlations of hair level with salivary level in cortisol and cortisone. Life Sci, 193, 57-63. doi: 10.1016/j.lfs.2017.11.037
6. Qiong Wang, Feng Shao and Weiwen Wang*. Region-Dependent Alterations in Cognitive Function and ERK1/2 Signaling in the PFC in Rats after Social Defeat Stress. Neural Plasticity, 2018, doi.org/10.1155/2018/9870985
7. Sun, Lan, Min, Li, Li, Man, Shao, Feng, & Wang, Weiwen* (2018). Transcriptomic analysis reveals oxidative phosphorylation activation in an adolescent social isolation rat model. BRAIN RESEARCH BULLETIN,142,304-312.
8. Man Li; Weiwen Wang#; Lan Sun; Wei Du; Hao Zhou; Feng Shao, Chronic clozapine treatment improves the alterations of prepulse inhibition and BDNF mRNA expression in the medial prefrontal cortex that are induced by adolescent social isolation. Behavioural Pharmacology. 2018, DOI 10.1097/FBP.0000000000000419.
9. Bart A. Ellenbroek, Weiwen Wang. The Translational Umbrella - A Novel Approach to the Study of the Biological Basis of Mental Health. OBM Neurobiology, 2018; 2(1), doi:10.21926/obm.neurobiol.1801008
11. Lan Sun, Li Min, Hao Zhou, Man Li, Feng Shao*, Weiwen Wang*, Adolescent social isolation affects schizophrenia-like behavior and astrocyte biomarkers in the PFC of adult rats. Behav Brain Res, 2017, 333: p. 258-266.
12. Zhang, Y. , Shao, F. , Wang, Q., Xie, X., Wang, W.W.* (2017). Neuroplastic correlates in the mPFC underlying the impairment of stress-coping ability and cognitive flexibility in adult rats exposed to chronic mild stress during adolescence. Neural Plasticity, 10. doi: 10.1155/2017/9382797.
13. Jenny Berrío, Weiwen Wang, Bart A. Ellenbroek. Perspectives on the Neurobiology of Antipsychotic Drugs in Psychiatric Disorders. OBM Neurobiology.2017,1(1): doi:10.21926/obm.neurobiol.1701001
14. Xu, H., Zhang, Y, Zhang, F., Yuan, S., Shao, F., & Wang, W.* (2016). Effects of Duloxetine Treatment on Cognitive Flexibility and BDNF Expression in the mPFC of Adult Male Mice Exposed to Social Stress during Adolescence. Frontiers in Molecular Neuroscience, 9, 95.
15. Zhang, F., Yuan, S., Shao, F., & Wang, W.W.* (2016). Adolescent social defeat induced alterations in social behavior and cognitive flexibility in adult mice: effects of developmental stage and social condition. Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience, 10, 149, 1-11.
16. Li, M., Du, W., Shao, F. *, Wang, W.W.* (2016). Cognitive dysfunction and epigenetic alterations of the BDNF gene are induced by social isolation during early adolescence. Behav Brain Res, 313, 177-183.
17. Mwanza, C., Chen, Z., Zhang, Q., Chen, S., Wang, W. W., & Deng, H.H.* (2016). Simultaneous HPLC-APCI-MS/MS quantification of endogenous cannabinoids and glucocorticoids in hair. Journal of Chromatography B, 1028, 1-10.
18. Tian Yu, Hang Xu, Weiwen Wang, Shifei Li, Zheng Chen, Huihua Deng*. Determination of endogenous corticosterone in rodent's blood, brainand hair with LC-APCI-MS/MS. Journal of Chromatography B, 2015, 1002: 267?76
19. Qiong Wang, Feng Shao*, Weiwen Wang*. Maternal separation produces alterations of forebrain brain-derived neurotrophic factor expression in differently aged rats. Frontiers in Molecular Neuroscience. 2015,8:49:1-9
20. Weiwen Wang, Huihua Deng, Li Wang*, Chengqi Cao,Hang Xu, Jianxin Zhang. Hair cortisone level is associated with PTSD's dysphoric arousal symptoms in highly traumatized Chinese females. Journal of affective disorders, 2015, 182, 18-22
21. Yan Jin, Bin Luo, Yan-Yan Su,Xin-Xing Wang, Liang Chen*, Ming, Wang, Wei-Wen*, Lin Chen*. Sodium salicylate suppresses GABAergic 1 inhibitory activity in neurons of rodent dorsal raphe nucleus. Plos one, 2015, 10(5): e0126956.
22. Qiong Wang, Man Li, Wei Du, Feng Shao*, Weiwen Wang*. The different effects of maternal separation on spatial learning and reversal learning in rats. Behavioural Brain Research, 2015, 280: 16?3.
23. Huanhuan Li, Wenjuan Lin, Junfa Li, Weiwen Wang. Altered Neurogranin Phosphorylation and Protein Levels are Associated with Anxiety- and Depression-Like Behaviors in Rats Following Forced Swim Stress. Journal of Behavioral and Brain Science. 2014, 4: 506-522
24. Li Wang, Chengqi Cao, Weiwen Wang*, Hang Xu, Jianxin Zhang, Huihua Deng, Xiangyang Zhang. Linking hair cortisol levels to phenotypic heterogeneity of posttraumatic stress symptomatology in highly traumatized Chinese females. Biological Psychiatry. 2015; 77 :e21-e22
25. Shuang Shao, ManLi, WeiDu, FengShao, Weiwen Wang*. Galanthamine, an acetylcholine inhibitor, prevents prepulse inhibition deficits induced by adolescent social isolation or MK-801 treatment. Brain research, 2014, 1589:105-11
26. Xi-ting Guan, Feng Shao, Xi Xie, Lin Chen, Weiwen Wang*. Effects of aspirin on immobile behavior and endocrine and immune changes in the forced swimming test: comparison to fluoxetine and imipramine. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior. 2014, 124:361-366
27. Xiao-Min Luo, San-Na Yuan, Xi-Ting Guan, Xi Xie, Feng Shaoc, Wei-Wen Wang*. Juvenile stress affects anxiety-like behavior and limbic monoamines in adult rats. Physiology & Behavior 135 (2014) 7?6
28. Xue X., Shao S.,Wang W. *, Shao F. Maternal Separation Induces Alterations in Reversal Learning and Brain-Deri ved Neurotrophic Factor Expression in Adult Rats. Neuropsychobiology 2013;68:243-24
29. Li, M., Shao, S., Shao, F., Wang, W.W. * (2013). Cognitive, emotional and neurochemical effects of repeated maternal separation in adolescent rats. Brain Research, 1518, 82-90.
30. Xue, X.F., Shao, S., Li, M., Shao, F., Wang, W.W. * (2013). Maternal separaton induces alterations of serotonergic system in different aged rats. Brain Research Bulletin, 95, 15-20
31. Feng Shao, Xiao Han, Shuang Shao, & Weiwen Wang*. Adolescent social isolation influcences cognitive function in adult rats. Neural Regeneration Research, 2013, 8(11), 1025-1030
32. San-na Yuan, Qiong Wang, Feng Shao, Wei-wen Wang. The roles of CRF receptors in the modulation of serotoninergic system and the effects of early environmental factors. Advances in Psychological Science. 3013,21(06),1-8
33. Xiao Han, Nanxin Li, Xiaofang Xue, Feng Shao, Weiwen Wang*. Early social isolation disrupts latent inhibition and increases dopamine D2 receptor expression in the medial prefrontal cortex and nucleus accumbens of adult rats. Brain Research, 2012, 1447: 38-43
34. Qiong Wang, Xiaomin Luo, Feng Shao, Weiwen Wang*. Comparative study of the effects of different types of chronic stress model of depression on cortically-mediated cognitive function in rats. Chincese Journal of Nervous and Mental Diseases,2012,38(8):449-453
35. Xiao Han, Weiwen Wang, Feng Shao and Nanxin Li. Isolation rearing alters social behaviors and monoamine neurotransmission in the medial prefrontal cortex and nucleus accumbens of adult rats. Brain Research, 2011(18): 175-181
36. Kevin Snyder, Wei-Wen Wang*, Rebecca Han, Kile McFadden and Rita J. Valentino.Corticotropin-releasing Factor in the Norepinephrine Nucleus, Locus Coeruleus, Facilitates Cognitive Flexibility. Neuropsychopharmacology,2011, 1?1.
37. Xiting Guan, Xi Xie, Xiaomin Luo, Feng Shao, Weiwen Wang*. Different effects of social isolation and unpredictable stress during adolescence on emotional behaviors in adult rats. Chincese Journal of Nervous and Mental Diseases, 2011,37(3):406-410
38. Xiao Han, Weiwen Wang, Xiaofang Xue, Feng Shao, Nanxin Li. Brief social isolation in early adolescence affects reversal learning and forebrain BDNF expression in adult rats. Brain Research Bulletin, Brain Research Bulletin.,2011: 173?178.
39. Han, X., Li, N., Meng, Q., Shao F., Wang, W*. Maternal Immune Activation Impairs Reversal Learning and Increases Serum Tumor Necrosis Factor-a in Offspring.. Neuropsychobiology, 2011,64(1): 9-14
40. Meng, Q., Li, N., Han, X., Shao, F., & Wang, W*. Effects of adolescent social isolation on the expression of brain-derived neurotrophic factors in the forebrain. European Journal of Pharmacology, 2011, 650(1): 229-232
41. Luo,X, Shao, F.,Guan, X., Xie X., Wang, WW*. Progress in the “brain-derived neurotrophic factor depression hypothesis”. Neural Regeneration Research, 2010,5(23): 1817-1824
42. Shao, F., Han, X., Li, N., & Wang, W*. Adolescent chronic apomorphine treatment impairs latent inhibition and reduces prefrontal cortex mGluR5 receptor expression in adult rats.. European Journal of Pharmacology, 2010, 649(1-3), 202-205.
43. Meng, Q., Li, N., Han, X., Shao, F., & Wang, W*. Peri-adolescence isolation rearing alters social behavior and nociception in rats. Neuroscience Letters, (2010), 480(1), 25-29.
44. Xi Xie, Feng Shao, Xiaomin Luo, Xiting Guan, Qingxuan Meng, Weiwen Wang*. Different effects of imipramine and fluoxetine on depression and anxiety-related behavior induced by stress in adolescent rats. Chincese Journal of Nervous and Mental Diseases, 2010, 36 (1).
45. Feng Shao, Jian Jin, Qingxuan Meng, Mei Liu, Xi Xie, Wenjuan Lin, Weiwen Wang*. Pubertal isolation alters latent inhibition and DA in nucleus accumbens of adult rats. Physiology & behavior, 2009, 98:251-257
Peer reviewed book chapters, books edited
James W. Kalat. Translated by Yanjie Su, et al. Biological Psychology (chapter 10). TOSTS & TELECON PRESS, 2011.
Fushun Wang et al. Psychology of Emotion (chapter 4 Physiological mechanisms of emotion). PEOPLE`S MEDICAL PUBLISHING HOUSE. 2017.
Projects from National Natural Science Foundation of China
“Central immune mechanisms underlying cognitive dysfunction in depression induced by adolescent stress and new intervention strategy”(31771217), 2018.01-2021.12, Director
“The developmental effect of early adolescent social stress on depressive behavior and prefrontal GABAergic system and its relationship”(81471122), 2015.01-2018.12, Director
“BDNF mechanisms underlying the changes of emotion and cognition induced by adolescent stress and early intervention”(91132728), 2012.01-2014.12, Director
“The neurobiological mechanisms underlying reversal learning dysfunction of schizophrenia induced by early isolated stress”(30370482), 2007.01 ?2009.12, collaborator
“Role of Heat Shock Protein70 in Stress-induced Immune Modulation”(30500158), 2006.01 ?2008.12, Director
Projects from National Basic Research Program of China (973) Program
“Genetic and environmental interactions in mechanisms of depression and schizophrenia”(2007CB512306), 2007.01 – 2011.12, main research member in subproject
Projects from the Chinese Academy of Sciences
“Psychoneural basis of the clinical heterogeneity of PTSD” , 2013.01 – 2016.12，main research member
“Schizophrenia-like and Depression-like behavior of rats in Puberty and its neural basis” (KSCX2-YW-R-131), 2008.01 – 2011.12, Subproject director
“Early recognition of psychiatric disorders” (（KSCX2-EW-J-8）)，2011.01 – 2013.12，main research member
“Psychoneural basis of the clinical heterogeneity of PTSD”, 2013.01-2016.12, main research member
Projects from Institute of Psychology, CAS
“Reward circuits changes associated with child trauma and vulnerability to anhedonia depression” 2016.01 ?2018.12, Co-Director
“Temporal characteristics of changes in activity of HPA axis among PTSD patients”2014.01 ?2016.12, Co-Director
“The effects of adolescent stress on depressive behaviour and neural plasticity”(O9CX133013), 2009.01 ?2010.12, Director
“BDNF epigenetic mechanisms underlying depressive behaviors induced by adolescent stress”,2012.01-2013.12, Director